Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gave Sasha Hive Another Little Boost

Last week I attached some of the burr comb to the frames in the second brood box hoping that the wax would entice the bees to go up there and move it around. As you can see, they did just that but with an undesirable outcome! Good news is that the queen laid eggs in the largest piece (you can spot the eggs when expanding the image.) Bad news is that the queen laid eggs in the largest piece. I've left it there for now because that hive needs all the bees it can get and I want the queen to be moving to other frames.

Thankfully, the queen has begun to lay on the other side of one frame, bringing her total area to 4 full frames. Being as patient as I can with this hive, I know the population must be built up much more in order to have the resources to make and store food to be able to survive through the winter. I decided to move over two full frames of brood and with some house bees from the OV hive. Six full frames of brood in the hive will certainly increase their chances. If there isn't much progress next week, I'll move over another two, and so on.

They are feeding on the syrup at the rate of a gallon a week for this small number, but I am hopeful their wax building capabilities have finally gotten up to speed (albiet misdirected for now) and that they will begin drawing out more comb.

No comments:

Post a Comment