Sunday, May 1, 2011

Welcome New Nurse Bees

Overnight temps were in the 50's and I was worried that the Sasha hive may not have enough house bees to keep warm all the new brood that I moved in yesterday from the OV hive. As soon as the morning warmed up a bit, I gave them some nurse bees from the OV hive.

A quick inspection first and I was surprised to find the queen on the frame of brood I added yesterday! Glad to see her finally off her birth-frame.

Removed two of the end frames to allow for a nice sized opening in the center of the hive. Selected a very full frame from the center of the OV hive, made extra sure the queen was not on the frame, gave the bees a good spritzing of sugar syrup mixed with Honey-B-Healthy and brushed them into the Sasha hive. Put the top feeder on and closed up the hive.

Then did a quick check to find my beautiful, dark Russian queen in the top box of the OV hive before closing that one up. I feel better knowing that the Sasha hive will have more population as well as enough nurse bees to help them along.

No comments:

Post a Comment