Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Queen Doing Much Better

When I opened the hive today, the first thing I noticed
was the increase of bees, all looking up at me.
Thanks to the additional brood and nurse bees added to the Sasha hive, I was less worried about them making it through the cool nights we had this past week when temps dropped into the low 40s.





There is a much better brood pattern and the queen has even been laying on the near side of next frame, instead of remaining on her birth-frame. That's quite an improvement! 

The frame pictured here is the frame of brood that I introduced last week so the spotty brood pattern is from those bees hatching but as you can see, the queen as filled in the spaces quite nicely, and there is a nice pattern of eggs visible in the lower right area of the pic.

I did kill two wax moth larvae and they still don't seem to be feeding from the top feeder. I refreshed that with sugar syrup with a bit of Honey-B-Healthy to see if that will get them to take. They are not yet drawing out any new frames, but they are storing nectar.

It's been 32 days since the Queen hatched. She's a late bloomer but seems that she's finally on her way!

No comments:

Post a Comment