Sunday, April 17, 2011

We Did It! We Successfully Split a Hive!

It's finally safe to celebrate that we have successfully split a hive and created a new queen! Today we saw that she has begun laying her eggs! I didn't fund as many as I had expected, or was hopeful to have found, but we did have cool, rainy weather this past week which probably delayed her maiden flight.
Here is my lovely, all mated and beautiful and running away from me. She would bury herself under the bees so I couldn't get a clear picture and she wasn't happy that I kept wiggling a finger to move them.

I have had the top feeder on for a week now but they don't seem to be taking it at the moment. There is plenty of pollen and nectar stored on the frames. Will keep the feeder on to encourage them to draw out the frames.

I did find another wax moth larvae, but he was encouraged to visit the "big hive in the sky" under my hive tool.

Interesting of note were the large amount of covered brood still existing on the two frames. They should have all hatched by April 9th. Are they delayed through the stress of the split or did they die. Will research this further and report on the findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment