Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Happy Queen Day! (It's a Girl)

Came home this afternoon to check on the hive and found the left queen cell open and empty! I searched for some time for the queen, but it was a cool, breezy day so the bees were keeping tight together. I tried blowing on them, doing a gentle finger wiggle, etc. to scatter them some but still could not find her. The queen cell on the right of the frame was still intact. No matter how hard I tried to clear the bees away for a photo, they were staying put. I will do a quick check tomorrow to see if the second queen cell is empty.

About day 23, April 11th, the queen will start laying eggs. The top feeder was placed on the hive just 3 days ago but I'm not seeing evidence they are using it. They have eaten all the nectar and honey that was on the frame included when I did the split. Pollen is now in most of those cells.

There are a few pieces of hard fondant containing Mega Bee remaining on the top of the frames. Feasting on a piece was the wax moth larvae, so it paid for it's gluttony with it's life. I was happy to see a couple of bees cleaning out under the comb eaten out by the wax moth larvae. I didn't see any new evidence of other wax moth larvae so am hopeful that will be the end of that for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment