Friday, July 24, 2009

Beekeeping for Dummies

The first book added to my bee library is Beekeeping for Dummies by Howland Blackiston. Besides an easy read, the book explains everything... and I mean everything! Fascinating things such as how the queen's pheromones control the entire well-being of the colony and a day by day description of the life of the worker bee.

I was far enough into the book that I felt as though I recognized what I was viewing when the beekeeping co-workers, Becca and Anna, invited me along as they checked in on their hives. I was delighted to see the line up of faces of the worker bees as they observed us from between the tops of the frames! (Then it was time for a little smoke to disburse them.)

In my humble review, Beekeeping for Dummies earns 5 stars. For an absolute newbie this book covers just about everything one needs to know about beekeeping, complete with helpful tips, a beekeeper's checklist and helpful resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment