Sunday, June 28, 2015

Combined Hives Today

I was hoping that I'd find a supersedure queen today but instead I found no eggs, brood or queen in the Catherine hive so I moved it over to combine with the Alexandra hive. I could have moved some brood over so they could make a queen but at the end of June, it's just too late in the season to essentially start over. The hive would never be ready for winter in time.

I used the newspaper method of combining the two hives by placing a single layer of  using newspaper between the two. This will allow time for them to integrate as they chew through the paper and prevent fighting. So now I have three deeps on one hive. The bottom one will eventually become empty and can be removed, or the bees will keep storing syrup in it and they'll head into winter with a ton of honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment