Sunday, May 31, 2015

We Have Eggs!

Purchased a new camera and it's frustrating to have come out of the apiary with blurry photos! I hope it is just my technique as I get used to using a new camera. But I'm super excited to report that both queens are laying!

Catherine Queen
The Catherine hive is about a day or two ahead of the Alexandria have since she was out of the cage sooner. I also had alternated some empty frames between the drawn ones last time and they're going gang-busters drawing them out.
Larvae in the Catherine Hive
The bees are busy storing the syrup so there isn't much room for the queen to lay right now but I was happy to find a small patch of larvae. There are nearly 8 drawn frames so added the second box to ensure they have plenty of room to grow. Will check on them in a couple weeks but until them I'll keep the feed on. They still had half a gallon left so they've slowed down slightly in their consumption of it.

Eggs in the Alexandra Hive
It was easy to spot the eggs in the Alexandra hive but also noted that the bees are filling much of the cells with syrup just as in the other hive, so added alternate empty frames between the drawn comb to get these bees busy drawing them out. It's really evident at this point how the hive is behind the other but I know they'll even out soon enough. The queen isn't as dark as the other but she's still quite lovely!
Alexandra Queen
Will check on their progress later in the week to see if they've drawn out the frames are are ready for another box.

No comments:

Post a Comment