Sunday, April 6, 2014

What's In a Name?

I get chided because I name my hives but I figure it helps to differentiate them and helps me with my record keeping. I could number them instead, but how boring is that?? And besides, naming them after hockey players is kind of fun!

Jay Beagle
Even though the new package of bees has a Russian queen, I've decided to name the hive after a Canadian player as the bees were such so very gentle when I installed them and Canadians have the reputation of being so polite. This hive will be known as the Beagle Hive, as in Jay Beagle, Calgary native and a center for the Washington Capitals (my current home team).

Pavel Datsyuk
Splitting a hive to make a new one isn't magic but it is rather magical how a beekeeper can influence the bees natural behavior to recognize they are without a queen, select an egg to be the queen and make an entirely new hive so I've named this hive Datsyuk after the Magic Man himself, Pavel Datsyuk, a forward for the Detroit Red Wings (my favorite team from my home state).

Pavel and Beagle join the Dmitry hive in the front yard apiary. I have two forwards and a defenseman... maybe I should consider a goalie next time? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment