Sunday, July 29, 2012

Checking in on New OV Queen

No eggs yet in the OV hive.
By now the new OV queen should be laying but as you can see here, there is nary an egg in sight! The hive, while still gentle was a tad bit more rowdy and acting queenright by chaining as I pulled out a frame.

When searching for the queen I always start in the middle of the box, often times peering down between the frames as the queen's longer legs will make her walk taller than the worker bees and this makes her easier to spot. But she's quick and shy of light - I caught a glimpse of behind and as fast as I tried to get to that frame, she had moved on deeper into the hive.

I didn't want to risk harming her so I closed up the hive and turned to check on the Dmitry hive to see that she's returned to laying eggs. Will observer her progress for the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment