Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Thinking of Nurse Bees in the Middle of the Night

Woke in the middle of the night and was thinking of the bees. (Don't you think about your bees when you're awake at night?) I was worried that perhaps I didn't give the Dmitry hive (the new split) enough nurse bees to keep the brood warm while that hive gets established. When I made the Sasha split last year, that is exactly what happened and a lot of the brood died.

Last night our temps were around 40 degrees so as soon as I got home from work I transferred a bunch of nurse bees from the OV hive to Dmitry - using a spritz of Honey-B-Healthy to mask the scent. The queen is still in her cage with the candy in place. If I happened to loose some of that brood, I can easily give them some more. How lucky I was that first year with only one hive! So many things could have gone wrong with no other hives to draw from!

No comments:

Post a Comment