Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Is Sasha II Laying Yet?

By my calculations, today is the first day that I could conceivably see eggs from Sasha II so as soon as I got home from work I checked in on the hive. While I did not inspect every frame, I found lots of eggs on two frames in the middle medium super. (Sorry for the crappy photo but if you look closely, you can see the eggs.)

Sasha II
Sasha II was on the second frame I pulled and by her size you can see she has mated. :-) I carefully replaced the frame and decided to see if there was new brood in the bottom box, too.

Sasha I
Again, I didn't inspect every frame but did see a few covered brood and a nice amount of young larvae on the two frames I checked. I found Sasha I still live and well  and if you click on this photo to view the larger image you will see an egg sticking out of her abdomen — it was caught and left behind on the edge of that cell shortly after I took the photo.

So, the question is... who's eggs are those? Not that it really matters as it will all be shorted out soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment