Sunday, February 20, 2011

Feisty Today

Made some fondant this morning and had planned on pulling a couple of frames to see what's been going on inside the home. But when I removed the outer cover, the inner cover came along and I think the ladies didn't like the rude blast of sunlight. Instead of a couple of guard bees coming to check me out, I had a good 20 to 30 of them. So, I stood there still for a moment, reciting the 'Secret Life of Bees' mantra, "I love you, I love you, I love you..." doing a quiet overlook until things settled down.

The bees are eating nearly 3/4 of a tray of fondant every 5-7 days. All seems well thus far but I do notice more bees are up top each time I check on them. I am hesitant to rotate the boxes just yet, knowing that there may not be anymore food inside the hive. Putting the cluster down bottom will remove them from any food I provide while our temps are still quite wintery. We may be in the 50-70's some days but we still experience overnight temps in the low 30's and snow is predicted for next week. Typical February for Southern Maryland.

No comments:

Post a Comment