Friday, April 16, 2010

The Party Drone

Checked in on the hive as I headed out for my morning exercise. Spotted there on the front, and as still as could be from the cool temperature, was a lone drone. I had to chuckle! It was almost as if he was caught out too late after curfew and couldn't get in. :-)

Actually, this drone is in a chill-coma. Chill coma occurs when the temperature is such that the bee can no longer warm itself. In this state the bee appears dead but as the temperature increases the bee, too, will warm and eventually return to normal activity.

By the time I returned from my run the sun was up a bit and the drone had moved on. Many bees were flying around the front of the hive, up and down, side to side, orientating themselves to the hive's location. All seems well with the apiary!

No comments:

Post a Comment